windows and Bios settings new graphics card?

EddieA 20:54 07 Jan 07

My Pc has an Intel D945GCZ Mainboard with internal graphics.
I have just bought a PCI Express 16 slot card as an upgrade, but before I dived in with the the installation I thought I would post the steps on the forum to confirm everything should be OK! Firstly in Windows in Device Manager under Display Adaptor I need to disable the Intel 8294G Express internal graphics.
Then power down the Pc install the new card and boot up into BIOS then access Advanced menu, Video config, Primary video adaptor.
At this point the following options are presented Auto, int graphics (IGD), Ext PCI graphics and finally the final option which I think I should select Ext PCIE graphics?
I should save this final option exit BIOS and enter Windows.
And hopefully everything is OK!
Ed.

hi my motherboard is hp nodusm-gl81, it had nvidea 64m on board grx, when i upgraded, i turned off plugged in nvidea pci express card and then turned back on again, simple as that, when it found the new hardware i put the disc in and that was that!
then downloaded latest drivers to desktop, uninstalled old ones rebooted and loaded the new ones

EddieA 22:02 07 Jan 07

Thanks for reply Adman.
Have used that method with previous PC but I am concerned with memory usage as Sis-Sandra has detected quite high usage for internal graphics.
This would be rectified if disabled and using the add on cards memory.
Ed.

i wasnt sure if i'd done it correctly, but it was 2 months ago, the only devices on system are gt7600, i have about200 more free ram, plays all games/ video and tv first rate, so i think its correct, but shall read your thread with interest!

btw, this is an nvid motherboard so i think it senses new card and auto disables everything else, seems to have anyway!

EddieA 22:48 07 Jan 07

Thanks for replying again Adman.
You could be on right track lets see if anyone else can join in and give info.

Ed.

jay.p 23:49 07 Jan 07

i always disable through device manager . then shut down and install my card . then on boot up enter the bios and disable onboard graphics as well just to be safe . then select agp as my graphics option ( old hat i know )reboot and install driver disc .
all boards have different bios options but basically you are doing it correctly as i do, except you seem just to have to choose an option in your bios which is Ext PCIE graphics .no need to disable anything in your bios as internal graphics is one of the options which you change.

EddieA 23:53 07 Jan 07

Thanks jay.p this confirms what I thought but you cannot be to careful!
Thanks again.
Ed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…