Windows back up will not back up on 3Tb extrnal drive

tmr 02 Jun 13

I have just purchased a Buffalo HD-LBU2 3Tb hard drive which will not back up Windows 7. Windows back up returns a message that “One of the backup files could not be created. Error Code 0x8078002A I/O DEVICE ERROR 0X8007045d” I am running Windows 7 SP1 and both my System drive and the external drive are formatted as NTFS

Chronos the 2nd 02 Jun 13

Might be something here. Google.

rdave13 02 Jun 13

Have a look at this thread. Apparently '2.2TB is the limit for MBR partitions'. Look at Hawkeye22's reply especially. Worth reading it all and consider buying a decent backup software.

wee eddie 02 Jun 13

Why not Partition the Drive ~ Problem solved

tmr 03 Jun 13

Thanks for your help guys. The Problem has been solved by reformating the external drive with GPT partition style which gave a 512 byte file sector size instead of the previosly factory MBR partition with 4096 byte sector size. The programme I used was Diskfomatter light which was included on the original drive by Buffalo but which I had not realised contained alternative formatting styles for their Drives.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message