Windows Automatic updates TROUBLE

HollBoy 16:09 PM 03 Jul 11

Windows Security Centre says Auto Updates has turned itself OFF (red cross over the updates icon in lower right toolbar) – but in ControlPanel/system/updates it is turned ON (green =OK!).

When I click on lower right toolbar icon – updates are OFF & trying to click here to turn them on (Turn on Automatic Updates box) I get message “We’re sorry – Windows Security Centre could not change your Auto Updates settings. Try changing through Control Panel etc….

Any ideas please! With thanks

northumbria61 22:08 PM 03 Jul 11

Check in "Services" to see if Windows Update service is running - if not "restart" the service.

rdave13 22:35 PM 03 Jul 11

Also run SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode. You might have some malware.

The free version,SAS

Remember to update it in normal mode first.

HollBoy 14:52 PM 04 Jul 11

Thanks all. Excuse my stupidity - where are "services" in Windows XP? Ta

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:11 PM 04 Jul 11

Start - Run - Type

services.msc

press OK

HollBoy 16:59 PM 05 Jul 11

Thanks but when did this, couldn't see if Windows Update service is running in "Services" - no sign of it in the list. Any ideas? I looked down the list but nothing obvious if not called Windows Update service...

birdface 17:29 PM 05 Jul 11

It comes under Services on Windows 7 so I would imagine it would be the same on others. Remember Windows Update and not Microsoft Update.

birdface 17:32 PM 05 Jul 11

Switch the Windows update off in control panel.Reboot and switch them on again and see if that helps.

or if you use I/E go to Tools Windows Update and run it manually and see what happens.

HollBoy 19:25 PM 06 Jul 11

No luck rebooting option. Tried IE/tools/win update but problem doing this. Have contacted MS but any other ideas most welcome. Thanks

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things