Windows Automatic Updates

johnincrete 05:51 20 Jan 10

I'm set up to receive automatic updates.
Is this a good thing?
If not,
how do I know what updates are available?
how do I know which of them are good?
how do I get the good ones?

howard64 06:47 20 Jan 10

I just let the updates in as and when they come - I have not had any problems.

gel 07:28 20 Jan 10

Hi
I think most of your questions will be answered if you click on to the Microsoft security shield on your desk top
The system for updates from Microsoft takes care of itself
Normally updates occur on or just after the second Tuesday in the month

gel

crosstrainer 07:56 20 Jan 10

Just a suggestion...Windows sometimes installs harsware updates that you may not want or need. To avoid this, I have my pc's set to inform me when updates are available, but I choose the ones I want, and when to install them.

morddwyd 08:19 20 Jan 10

Like crosstrainer, I've have my systems set to advise me when updates are available, but I choose if and when to install.

For instance, this morning I have been advised of an update to Silverlight. Since I don't use it I don't need the update.

Technotiger 08:50 20 Jan 10

100% Ditto morddwyd

compumac 09:06 20 Jan 10

As per morddwyd and Technotiger

johnincrete 11:17 20 Jan 10

There is no Microsoft Security Shield on my desktop.
When downloads are available. I get a shield icon in the blue strip alomside the clock etc. Clicking on it just tells me there's updates available but nbot what. Hence the post.

johnincrete 11:19 20 Jan 10

"Like crosstrainer, I've have my systems set to advise me when updates are available, but I choose if and when to install."
How do you set yoiur system?
How do you choose?

mooly 11:46 20 Jan 10

I too prefer "notify but don't download and install" as I like to see what's on offer and to install at a time of my choosing.
If you set it like this, you click the icon balloon message when it appears (windows telling you updates available) and you can then choose to view the updates and tick which you want.

All the setting are in "control panel" and "windows update"

march 17:32 20 Jan 10

click on the orb, windows updates, change settings, then under ‘important updates’ click on the down arrow and select check for updates but let me choose whether to download & install them’ click ok

then when updates are available you can see which you want to install,

some will be probably be obvious that you need to install them but when you are not sure post on this forum & you will find lots of people willing to guide & help you (they are all a pretty fantastic with lots of patience and knowledge.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…