Windows automatic updates

naviator 14:00 24 Apr 08

Windows seems now to be continually trying to update my computer with a programme it then tells me it is unable to install; the programme is Installer 3.1.
As previously related I have tried to do this myself without success prior to trying to download Windows Defender.
I'm not particularly worried as I now use an alternative to Defender recommended by someone who answered my earlier query. However I am just a bit curious as to why this is happening and would like to know if anyone else has experienced it.

Ditch999 14:21 24 Apr 08

Have a read at this MS bulletin with the remedy click here

birdface 08:24 25 Apr 08

Or run Microsoft updates manually.When it shows untick it.And in the little square underneath tick don't show this again.

naviator 12:44 26 Apr 08

Thank you very much Ditch999 - Defender is now back on board. However it informs me that it can't install definition updates (Error found: Code 0x80004002) and so I've had to manually do this via a 32 bit Definition link. Hopefully that has put everything right! This information may be useful to anyone else having the same problem.

birdface 12:49 26 Apr 08

Hi.On my last reply I have noticed that the word Microsoft is underlined and produces an advert when you scroll over it.Is this something that PCA adds or have I got something wrong with my computer.

birdface 12:53 26 Apr 08

Thats odd.Came back on to this thread and it is not there anymore.This has happened a few times on different threads so not sure if my fault or PCA using it for advertising.Sorry for posting on here Naviator but as I could see it on here I thought that I would ask.

naviator 13:08 26 Apr 08

No problem Buteman and thanks for the message. I don't think there is anything wrong with your computer - it happens on mine too the last instance being where the word "advertising" is underlined twice in your last message. If I drag the mouse over it a yelldirect.co thing appears!

naviator 13:39 26 Apr 08

Please note Ditch999 and buteman that although I updated Defender manually I now find that the updates didn't download and Defender lists them all as not installable. Defender itself does not appear on the list since it is now on the computer. All very strange. Unless someone has another solution I think I'll ignore the wretched thing and take the icon off my desktop as I do now have an alternative. However, despite the fact that this is now marked "resolved", if anyone cares to comment I will read and take note - I do NOT like things that don't work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…