Windows Automatic update

colberly 15:55 17 Feb 03

I have a Packard Bell PC running ME and have always had it set to automatically download updates from Microsoft with no problems, until 5 days ago. Suddenly it has started to misbehave and everyday for the last 5 days has downloaded the same file for Windows Media player. Yesterday I changed the settings to ask before downloading which was ignored and today it has again attempted to download the same update. I spotted it in time and stopped the download. I have now switched off the automatically download feature. Is there anything else I can do, that will make the d**n thing work as it should again please?
A very frustrated Colberly.

leo49 16:15 17 Feb 03

This is just an observation - Is the file installing OK? - as it sounds as if Windows doesn't recognise that it's installed, hence the repeat downloads.

Regards

colberly 17:16 17 Feb 03

Thanks for your reply. According to my microsoft installation history the same file no Q320920 for Media Player has been downloaded and installed three times. Belarc advisor also shows the same installations. Microsoft gone mad?
Cheers.

IanWilk 17:48 17 Feb 03

Same thing happened to me on manual updates on Sat and Sun - same number, apparently installed twice on separate occasions. Both successful, according to 'Installation History' on the MS site.

busman 01:57 18 Feb 03

Top........Same thing happening to me. windows me
Now got the said file four times according to instalation history, anyone got any idea whats going on...cheers.

colberly 10:37 18 Feb 03

Looks like microsoft update has gone berserk. I decided to tick the automatic update again this AM and lo and behold the same file download again.
It is Q320902 Media player 6.4. I have Media player 7 on my PC. So now according to installation history I have the file downloaded 5 times. The only thing that I can do is update manually in future it seems and switch off automatic updates. Unless anyone has any other solution.
Cheers.

MichelleC 11:45 18 Feb 03

I had the same too. But funnily enough my BigFix recognises the update.

leo49 11:59 18 Feb 03

Just visited Windows update and it wants to install the same Media Player update - which is nice, except I'm on my MELite OS from which all Mediaplayer components have been removed.

Regards

vaughan007 12:17 18 Feb 03

I had this update thing with XP too....a few months ago...kept downloading the same set of files time and time again....eventually it stopped all on its own.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…