Windows asking to activate 7 year old XP license

logoff 15:54 05 Jul 08

I bought a MESH elite PC about 7 years ago now using XP SP2 OEM. It is Pentium P4 with 1.5 Gb SDRAM and used as a second PC mainly by my wife now. Over the years have put in a new CD RW when the orginal stopped rewriting and have upgraded the memory.

Today replaced the original DVD player with a new Pioneer 20x DVD RW and on starting up got a message about needing to activate Windows within 3 days. I ticked the remind me later option but no doubt it will keep coming back! Anyone know why this is and how to stop it.
Much obliged.

Diodorus Siculus 16:01 05 Jul 08

Don't know why but you can just follow the wizard and allow it to activate.

DieSse 16:05 05 Jul 08

Windows has an algorithm that decides for itself whether a hardware change will need you to re-activate.

Since you clearly have a genuine version, just do what it says and re-activate.

Call MS if there is a problem (there probably will not be). They gave you the number to call in the activation process.

logoff 16:13 05 Jul 08

Diodorus Siculus and DieSse -thanks for that will try it and see what happens.

€dstowe 16:48 05 Jul 08

Please don't leave it hoping it will go away. It most likely won't and you will then be the owner of a useless box.

logoff 16:48 05 Jul 08

Thanks again-seems to have worked OK

ronalddonald 17:44 05 Jul 08

just ring them to activate it or do it over the net. Once you ve done it u should'nt have anything to worry about.

Normaly its afree phone number and if doesnt recognise the product key it will refer you to one of the people at microsoft and just tell them you upgraded the comp.

There shouldnt be any problems just go for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…