Windows 98se won't install NTL Broadband

stuj77 08:45 07 Apr 05

My sister in law's computer will not install NTL Broadband. I am only using the usb connection because it does not have an ethernet connection. It says words to the effect of "TCP networking error" or something similar to this. I tried it a further 3 times but it didnt work so I was left a bit stumped.

Another thing I was thinking was that on the installation CD it says that it will only run on Windows Mill/2000/XP, and it doesn't mention Windows 98se. Perhaps then is it necessary to get a different installtion cd?

Can anyone help?
Thanks
stuj77

Yoda Knight 09:01 07 Apr 05

You might be better off buying a ethernet card for about £5

jack 09:12 07 Apr 05

Ethernet card may do it
Checkout other 98'ers
My daughter tried BB with her 98- it did not go, so she chucked BB
Perchance 98 wont do BB.

Wak 09:28 07 Apr 05

Just to put your mind at ease, I've had NTL B/B (running through the set-top box) on my Win 98SE for years now and it runs perfectly well.
Maybe you could check to see if they have another CD for Win 98??.

canard 22:39 07 Apr 05

My Win 98 SE does support NTL BB via USB.

woodchip 22:47 07 Apr 05

If this is the Speed touch I have just today setup my Modem on a Win98se comp a WinXP desktop and a WinXP laptop all from the NTL CD. It is the USB modem Silver with green lights on the front I am connected to a normal Extension about 130ft long to front door. the only problem I am getting is noise on the phone I need to use a dedicated Ethernet cable. You should have the Modem connected into the Filter on the end of cable. and you should not connect the MODEM until it says you can. If you connected it before you ran the CD install, that is your problem

woodchip 22:50 07 Apr 05

Try Loading the Dr SpeedTouch software and follow the prompts. they set them selves up

Technotiger 22:52 07 Apr 05

Hi, I assume you are using a usb external modem - if it the same as BT usb modem (or even just similar) I assume you are aware that you should only connect the usb cable to pc as and when the install set-up tells you to. I know that with BT this point is Critical to successful installation.

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:10 07 Apr 05

Terryon Cable Modem? This is normaly the one NTL send out.

Uninstall ALL drivers ethernet and USB

Reinstall the USB drivers and set the password etc.

Internet options - connections - click settings -select properties - networking make sure Internet protocol TCP/IP is ticked.

Tim1964 23:59 07 Apr 05

Been running NTL BB, since it started, with 98 1st ed. The only prob was the setup CD didn't have the drivers on it and NTL knew it when they sent them out AARRRGGHH!!!, but the help pages had an easy to follow guide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…