Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition

Oxyjon 14:49 21 Oct 03

I have Win 98SE that was preinstalled when i bought my pc. Can I upgrade to XPHome Edition and if so is it worthwhile.

Regards oxy

Jester2K II 14:51 21 Oct 03

Yes and yes.

Djohn 16:55 21 Oct 03

With a slight caution. You will need the 98se CD to do the upgrade, not a restore CD. To the best of my knowledge a restore CD will not be recognised when inserted to be checked for qualifying O/S. I may be wrong on this. j.

alcudia 16:59 21 Oct 03

As long as Win98 is still installed the upgrade should work.

You will have a problem if you attempt a clean install of XP.

Simon_P 17:04 21 Oct 03

Try click here

This will test yor comp to see if it is capable of runing XP

Oxyjon 17:59 21 Oct 03

Thank for the help my pc is capable of running xp, now can someone advise me where to get help to do the upgrade.
thanks oxy

Legolas 18:10 21 Oct 03

Just put the XP disk in the cd-rom drive and follow instructions.

Djohn 18:15 21 Oct 03

Are you sure this will be OK? on all up-grades that I have seen being done, you are asked to insert the CD for it to be scanned. This is regardless of whether or not the current O/S is still on the hard drive or been removed. j.

alcudia 10:06 22 Oct 03

Yes. I have had no problems at all with the seven machines (Compaqs and NEC's) that we have here. All came with an OEM recovery disc.
All machines were restored to factory state using the recovery discs, and then the XP upgrade disc was applied to each one.

Every one upgraded successfuly.

If you are trying to install an upgrade XP disc to a clean formatted hard drive, then you will be asked for a qualifying disc.

Simon_P 19:05 22 Oct 03

I had no problems with upgrade from installed OS.

I have read that when using a restore disk, there may be problems doing a clean install.

However I have also read that it works with a restore CD, as XP looks for cab files for verafication.

There was a thread on here dealing with that issue some time ago.

bremner 19:08 22 Oct 03

I too have never been asked to insert a previous O/S disk for verification whether this be an upgrade from a full W98 system or a recovery disk set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…