Windows 98se update stopped working.

Bikesy 20:02 23 Oct 05

About a week ago I checked via widows update button and downloaded 2 items. Everything worked fine. Now when I go to my windows 98se update in the start menu it connects starts to show the 'Checking for Latest version' page then changes to an 'Administrators Only' and refers to windows 2000 and XP and to contact my administrator. I am not on a network. Also which may be relevent all my Microsoft desktop icons ie works, Briefcase, My Computor, Documents etc were programmed to open as a web page type when clicked. This does happen and shows the horizontal dividing line between the title /description and the actual files but the files do not appear and the picture or logo icon is just a square with a red cross If I go to 'View' I can change it to large or details etc and this then shows the actual files in the folder but that is all. I have always had my folders in web page view but the desktop in windows standard. Would like to get the ability to continue downloading updates if nothing else. Have checked system files for any corruption and windows does not report any. Many thanks to any one who can solve the problem.

Bikesy 20:36 23 Oct 05

Please change Horizontal to Vertical Line

Stuartli 23:19 23 Oct 05

Didn't know that there were any more Windows 98SE updates.

Installing the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack should install all the final updates:

click here

Dubbed the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack", the update is a collection of fixes posted by Microsoft, as well as other enhancements added by Alper Coskun, a Turkish computer engineering student and this is the final version.

Batch 08:01 24 Oct 05

I think Microsoft are still issuing SECURITY Updates for 98 and 98SE, but not general updates.

Bikesy 19:11 24 Oct 05

My apologies I did not make it clear enough. Yes you are correct that ms are still producing security fixes and not actual update's to win 98, via the update page. It's this update page gained via the start menu which I now can not get to, because for some reason I now get an Ms Administrators Only page which refers to 2000 & XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…