Windows 98SE update problems

Aspman 16:14 16 Aug 05

A friend at work is having problems using MS update to patch a reformatted machine.

She can access the website and gather the required updates but when it comes time to download IE freezes for a long time eventually producing the error:

LoadLibrary("msscript.ocx")failed.GetLastError returns 0x00000485.

She has tried to reregister several Dlls as recommended by other pages but the ocx file is proving troublesome.

Suggestions appreciated.

ACOLYTE 16:17 16 Aug 05

click here maybe this will help

Aspman 16:34 16 Aug 05

Looks promising thanks.

scotty 16:36 16 Aug 05

I have a vague recollection of an update to the download manager which it is recommended to install prior to other updates. Don't recall details but a Google should throw up some info.

Wak 19:28 16 Aug 05

I don't know if this will help but I have Win 98SE and the file you mention (msscript.ocx) is not installed on my machine according to Start/ Find and I am fully up-dated.
That would suggest that it is not a missing System file.
I can only suggest that you try and repair IE by going to Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ System Information/ Tools and run the first program in the drop down box, i.e. the Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

Aspman 09:59 17 Aug 05

Cheers Wak I'll pass on that suggestion.

Aspman 10:06 18 Aug 05

And the prize goes to................

Wak.

Go buy yourself something nice.

Terry Brown 10:10 18 Aug 05

If you can, I believe thee is a way (administrator ?) to save all the updates for later downloading.This will be useful as sooner or later (possibly sooner)microsoft will stop supplying updates for win 98.

Wak 13:45 18 Aug 05

Cheers Aspman, only too pleased to have helped.
And where do I send the bill for the new car????
Incidentally, Microsoft used to supply a CD of Win 98 Security Updates covering up to Feb 2004 which I have.
I have also saved copies of the later Security/ Critical updates which I think can still be downloaded and saved from the Microsoft Update page.
Wak.

Aspman 14:09 18 Aug 05

Send the bill to

Billy Gates,
MS House,
Redmond,
USA

Make sure you get leather and remember red cars go faster!

Saving all the update isn't too big an issue for her she's movingg on to a new PC in the new year and this is just to get by really.

I don't know if MS is withdrawing all support. I think it will just mean no new updates but the old ones will still be available for quite a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…