Windows 98SE System Restore!

Greengage 11:34 05 Jun 04

Yesterday I was trying to play music Cds but whilst the Cd autoran when installed my default music player (Music Match) would not autorun. Nor would other music players, although I could start and play them manually, except for Creative Live which went through the motion of playing the disc but without sound. Nothing adverse showed in Device Manager. In an attempt to get Music Match to auto run my PC stalled and then crashed. In re-booting it ran Scandisk and for the first time ever I got a screen come up saying something about a Windows Registry entry. I did not take time reading this unfortunately and just pressed OK so that the PC could fully re-boot. I then discovered that I could not connect to the Internet (Ntl Broadband) and had to re-configure. I then received a message from Zone Alarm saying that I should up-date this software which I did but I had already done this during the past two weeks with the same download. I then checked Windows Up-date which led to my downloading three items and installing them although I had done this previously. I checked my files in My Documents and they were still there including ones created that day. However, when exiting MS Money I got asked whether I wanted to back up as this had not been done for 98 days. This was incorrect as I back up regularly, the last one being the day before. In going into Money again there was a message stating that my data had not been up-dated over the internet since 1st March which again was incorrect. All the latest entries in Money were properly recorded. Checked AVG and this was totally up-to-date. It seems that my system in part had been restored to an earlier date - end Feb beginning of March - without reason. Can anyone please explain. The PC is working fine apart from this hiccup.System:Athlon 800, 30gb, 374Mb memory, running Windows 98SE. I do not have any Restore programs loaded.

VoG II 11:49 05 Jun 04

Restart in MSDOS mode

Type

scanreg /restore

and press the Enter key.

You should be presented with a list of dates to restore the registry from.

Greengage 13:13 05 Jun 04

Thanks for your help VoG™. Scanreg /restore just gave me 4 dates - one in 2003 and 3 in 2004, 5th March being the latest one, nothing more recent. It doesn't really matter as the PC is now up and running OK and I was intrigued to know what had happened. At least I have learnt something new through your advice.

Stuartli 13:45 05 Jun 04

You can also reach it by pressing f5 (or is it f8!) on bootup and using the command prompt choice.

A lot of people never knew that you could revert to a previous registry point in 98SE - it saved my bacon on several occasions - but do know about XP's System Restore.

You could also increase the number of backups by altering the value in the maxbackups line in the registry.

I've detailed it in the past but can't find it using Search..:-(

These KB articles may help:

click here;en-us;322754&Product=w98

click here;EN-US;184023

click here;en-us;183887&Product=w98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…