Windows 98SE Start Up

ronm 20:52 24 Jul 05

For no apparent reason my computer now shows the windows 98 start up menu with 5 options after going through the memory checks, if I press the enter key for normal start up everything stops and I have to restart, if however I let the 30 sec timer run down it all starts up fine. Any suggestions

woodchip 21:14 24 Jul 05

choose selective start press y for yes to each driver when it stops you should write down drive and restart, then next time press n for no to the driver you put on paper

ronm 21:29 24 Jul 05

Tried Shift F8 as suggested but it will go no further,and F5 safe mode goes into dos showing C:\>

woodchip 22:47 24 Jul 05

you should just use f8 to get selective mode

DieSse 23:07 24 Jul 05

Look here click here

at the contents of the file called MSDOS.SYS. You should see it in the root section of drive C. Right click and choose to Edit the file. If you need to choose a program to open it, use Notepad. Or just start Notepad, and do a File-pen on MSDOS.SYS

Look in the options menu at the line BOOT MENU = as you can see it should be set to 0. If it's set to 1 the menu will display every time. So change it to 0 and then Save the fle - then restart the system.

Any problems (I can't try it ut as I'm not on 98), ask again.

woodchip 23:15 24 Jul 05

This is what MSDOS looks like in Win98 and should not need editing as it's different to XP

;The following lines are required for
compatibility with other programs.

;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).

woodchip 23:17 24 Jul 05

Do as I said above

DieSse 23:21 24 Jul 05

According to click here and click here

msdos.sys looks like they say. Whats WinXP got to do with it.

ronm 23:26 24 Jul 05

Thanks for all your help, my wife is on the computer at the moment so I will have to try tomorrow

woodchip 23:28 24 Jul 05

The above is my MSDOS.SYS and it works.

DieSse 23:28 24 Jul 05

His system starts up fine if he lets it time out on the menu - how can there be a faulty driver?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…