Windows 98SE Shutdown Problem

aich 18:19 27 Apr 04

Recently when I shutdown Windows it gets to the Windows logo screen, with the message "Window's is shutting down" and hangs there. Previously it would shut down the computer. If I select restart it hangs the same way. I have to cut the power to close down. Next time I start it does not show bad shutdown. Any ideas of how toeresolve tjis issue would be useful.

VoG II 18:22 27 Apr 04
  Pidder 18:42 27 Apr 04

If it doesn't show a bad shut-down I don't worry and just accept it as a fact of life. (VOG = am I being too optimistic ?)

Volvo 19:19 27 Apr 04

Some time ago Microsoft issued a free patch to solve this problem. We had a network of desktop PCs and one or other would on occasions not close (which PC would not close was random!). We loaded the patch and this solved the problem for most of the time, but occasionally a PC will still hang. I can let you have the patch if someone can tell me how to make a file available to users of this help facility. Alternatively, try the Microsoft website.

Stuartli 09:44 28 Apr 04

See:

click here

and

click here

Another link to the Shutdown patch:

click here

Sethhaniel 11:12 28 Apr 04

A memor Stick when removed from USB slot -would cause windows 98 se to hang on closing as described

aich 19:04 28 Apr 04

This could be the problem. I may have removed a USB memery or USB wireless adaptor. Do you know a fix?

Sethhaniel 16:19 29 Apr 04

some times if I plugged & unplugged a couple of times it would shut down normally - others after using once would hang - later windows have a remove button to press

woodchip 16:27 29 Apr 04

Put you Win98se Disc in Comp and Run SFC from the run box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…