Windows 98SE shutdown problem

jessej 17:28 08 Oct 03

I have just become the proud owner of a second PC, old but working. There is a small problem, which I've had a long time ago but can't recall the cure. The screen comes up 'Windows is shuttingdown' but it doesn't, that stays there until such time as I switch it off. Then, of course, on starting up again I'm told Windows was not shutdown correctly so it has to do a scan. Incidentally, I've downloaded the patch from Microsoft which is supposed to cure this, hasn't done a bit of good. Help please.

ardvarc 17:43 08 Oct 03

Scroll down the list and the patch is there

click here

Jester2K II 17:46 08 Oct 03

Shutdown Supplement click here or the IDE Cache one click here ?

Make sure you get both.

Jester2K II 17:48 08 Oct 03

click here

Common Causes of Shutdown Problems
Shutdown problems in Windows 98 Second Edition can be caused by any of the following issues:
The Fast Shutdown registry key is enabled.
There is a damaged Exit Windows sound file.
A program or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program may not close correctly.
An incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver is loaded.
There is an incompatible Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) setting.
There is an incompatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) configuration setting.
The computer contains incorrectly configured or damaged hardware.
There is a video adapter that is not assigned an IRQ in real mode.

Pidder 18:36 08 Oct 03

I have been in the habit of running the Shutdown Patch (saved in a folder and accessed from the Desktop) every time I reboot as I find it becomes of no effect after a while. Do folks consider this is a good idea or not?

Jester2K II 18:37 08 Oct 03

er you only need to do it once.

Check the links above for more ideas.

VoG II 18:40 08 Oct 03
  jessej 10:34 09 Oct 03

Very many thanks to all, I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…