Windows 98SE shutdown

CDL 20:18 23 Feb 03

I've taken over a 'new'machine running 98SE. When I shut it down I get the screen telling me that Windows is shutting down - but that's it,it doesnt shut down - without a prompt from the restart button and its consequences!
Any suggestions please.

Lozzy 20:21 23 Feb 03

Upgarde to XP

Giggle n' Bits 20:26 23 Feb 03

Windows Update site you will need to download the required updates 1 of the patches/update will cure this. Carn't remmember the exact title of the nneded update but its one of about 14 in the list.

If this is your computers First time visit to the Windows update site, wait for 2 prompts to be asked Do you want to inststall .... etc. Select yes on both occassions.

Then Scan for updates and download the needed patches/security update. (Turn off Screen savers!)

AMD 4 ever 20:27 23 Feb 03

go to microst.com and look for the updates, this a notorious problem.

MAJ 20:27 23 Feb 03

Try the Windows 98se shutdown supplement, that should sort it for you.

click here

AMD 4 ever 20:28 23 Feb 03

oops should read microsoft.

spikeychris 20:28 23 Feb 03

Is a favourite, try this...

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
Click to select the Disable Fast Shutdown check box, click OK, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.

Post back with results

Chris

Stuartli 20:36 23 Feb 03

Fast Shutdown can sometimes cause more problems than it solves..:-)

MS recommends disabling it in certain circumstances.

The shutdown supplement cured any minor problems I had although I still get the occasional boot glitch.

Stuartli 20:41 23 Feb 03

Sorry, I misread your posting.

However, Disable Fast Shutdown is not listed in my case (Win98SE); I did a check out of curiosity.

spikeychris 20:51 23 Feb 03

You are right, its not available in SE, :o)
CDL

click here for a Shutdown Supplement

Chris

MAJ 20:53 23 Feb 03

"Disable fast shutdown" is available from msconfig > Advanced button in Win 98SE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…