Windows 98se restart time

andyloran 11:20 06 May 05

When I restart it takes ages. I get the Windows screen on there for about 2 minutes. How can I shorten this time?

Graham ® 12:25 06 May 05

Antivirus programs checking files?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:28 06 May 05

Could be a number of things try first System File Checker
click here

Use Crap Cleaner click here to clear out all temp files that may be slowing you down then do a defrag of the hard drives.

Change/Prevent LOGO screen at Start
This graphic is embedded in the Io.sys file in your root directory, and is easy to change. If you don't want the logo's to appear, you may open "Msdos.sys" (hidden file at C:\) in Notepad. Add or edit the line "Logo=0" under [Options].

Windows stores the splash screen in the file LOGO.SYS. Even though this file has the SYS file extension and is marked as a system file, it's actually a bitmap file created in Paint. This means that basically all you have to do to replace the Windows splash screen is create a new bitmap and save it as LOGO.SYS.

Before you begin, you should rename the existing LOGO.SYS file so you have a back-up copy of the original splash screen. Since LOGO.SYS is a system file, Windows Explorer and My Computer consider it a hidden file, even though the hidden file attribute isn't set. Therefore, neither of these hard disk navigation tools will display LOGO.SYS unless you change the View option to show hidden files.

andyloran 12:33 06 May 05

I'm very sorry Fruit Bat, but I really don't understand all that. Can you give me a step by step Dummies version?

Joe R 12:37 06 May 05

andyloran,

Click Start-run, type in msconfig, and press enter.

Open up startup. This will show you the programs that are being loaded at start up. Untick all except any for your A/v, save and reboot.

woodchip 14:03 06 May 05

As above AV will slow comp if it's checking files. But also look in Start\Run Type MSCONFIG hit enter go startup tab remove all ticks exept AV, Firewall, Explorer, and System tray, then try it. If you need any of the other back just put the tick back

andyloran 14:59 06 May 05

Will try that in msconfig, but I think it must be the av, as I got rid of the screen with tweakui, and now it is ages on 'loading windows 98'. Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…