Windows 98SE Resources query

Inverjazz 11:53 17 Mar 04

I remember when system resources free at power up used to be around 75% or even more, now its down to around 60% I've unchecked as many as I can in msconfig startup but it hasn't made much difference. The resource meter shows system resources 58% free, user resources 58% and GDI resources 84% I've plenty of RAM and disc space, and I haven't recently installed any resource hungry software. What is the acceptable percentage anyway?

Diodorus Siculus 12:04 17 Mar 04

click here for a guide.

Inverjazz 13:27 21 Mar 04

Hi DS, thanks for the tip. A very interesting and easily understood explanation

GaT7 14:16 21 Mar 04

60% is indeed very low just after you've powered on. On my Win98Se PC I get about 75-80% on powering on despite having some notorious programs at startup. If I remove them I get about 90% free resources.

To do some troubleshooting of your own my suggestion is to download & install Memokit (free trial) - click here - and see which programs are hogging most of your system's resources.

If you want Memokit to display Free Windows Resources in the Taskbar - go into Memokit's Options -> General tab & make sure 'Free Windows resources' is selected in 'Toolbar shows'. Click Apply.

Post back if you can to to tell us your findings...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…