Windows 98SE reload. Would you?

Bald Eagle 08:54 19 Aug 03

I have a cheap and cheerful computer here in France {Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) 266 megahertz Intel Pentium II, c: 2.11 GB 1.34 GB free, d: 2.15 GB 1.93 GB free}. It is used for letter writing, Internet and a finance package. Now it has occasionally started booting up with the wrong monitor config., it throws up errors about various applications loaded incorrectly and sometimes locks up whilst in use. However, non of these is too big a problem. Would it be worthwhile reloading 98SE? I am coming back to England in October for 6 months and could do it then while I have access to the massed brains of the PCA site via my machine in England. Would you reload 98SE? Off out for the day so replies from me will be delayed.

Jester2K II 08:59 19 Aug 03

If you have all your program CDs and have an up to date backup of your data, drivers etc why not?

Consider making a folder on the D drive and copy the contents of the Windows 98 CD to it. Run the setup from there and it'll install in about half the time..

TBH1 10:52 19 Aug 03

I think there is a way of re-installing over the top of your present systen thus leaving all your settings etc as is. May be worth trying that first - - -it does cure some problems - - but if you are in a position for complete re-install, then do so.

MichelleC 11:13 19 Aug 03

Why not try defrag and scandisc in safemode first, followed by system file checker (RUN/ type sfc and replace any necessary files from os disc). Then if it's still playing up reinstall os over itself.

seedie 11:54 19 Aug 03

2nd Michelle's advice

Bald Eagle 16:22 19 Aug 03

Thanks folk. Will try MichelleC's advice. How do I restore 98SE over itself? Sorry, but I'm not over bright with computers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…