windows 98se reformatting-help needed

caro456 21:38 05 Aug 06

I need to reformat an old computer running 98se. I have done this before, several times, but now each time I start with the boot disk in the floppy drive, I get the message "searching for boot record from floppy..." and then windows continues to load. I have 2 boot disks from mesh, another boot disk supplied with windows and have just downloaded and copied to a new floppy from bootdisk.com. All give the same response. Does anyone have any ideas? What else can I try?

woodchip 21:55 05 Aug 06

The one you downloaded from Boot.com. It's no good just putting the file on a floppy and hoping it's going to work, It will not. Put a blank disc in the comp the double click on the one you downloaded to create the boot disc. Start with the disc let it go to A:\> then type

Format C: press enter

namtas 21:56 05 Aug 06
  phono 22:12 05 Aug 06

Is the floppy drive definitely working okay?

caro456 22:22 05 Aug 06

phono
I dont think it is. Have tried namtas link and couldn't create a disk using the add/remove program facility, it just kept prompting me for a disk and eventually froze. So I put in a disk that I know is Ok and contains some files and after a strange whirring noise I get the message A:\ is not accessible
The device is not ready
Is there a way to reformat without the floppy drive? If so for all I use it I may not even bother replacing it.

phono 22:27 05 Aug 06

A bootable CD such as BARTPE click here , UBCD click here or EBCD click here should be able to help you with a reformat

caro456 22:28 05 Aug 06

Thanx phono, I will try one of those.

phono 22:29 05 Aug 06

No problem, let us know how you get on.

Wak 10:34 06 Aug 06

Does this help??

click here

Reinstalling info is near the bottom of the list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…