windows 98se re install

farquharsen 17:35 18 Jun 03

I had to reload win98se yesterday because my computer said could not find himem sys or corrupt etc ..

I was able to insert my cd and find drive "E"
and reload windows I did not remove old windows as I could not get the machine to do anything except give me a C:/ prompt.

Now when I look in my computer and C drive I have windows with all my old stuff on and NOW windows000 with all programmes except my stuff
when I try to open say word from the ist windows it tells me registry has reported one or more files are damaged or missing run set up again

then when i close it opens ok!!!

anyone know why i have 2 sets of windows do i need them and how to stop error messages

Valvegrid 19:07 18 Jun 03

Are able to retrieve all your important data? I suspect you are if you get to the C:\ prompt, if so it might be worthwhile doing a re-format and clean install of Windows.

Paul.

seedie 19:09 18 Jun 03

You don't need two installations of the same version of windows on one hard drive.

If you can start in dos mode type at the prompt deltree c:\windows000 <return>

Having achieved that you may wish to re-install windows again.Pay particular attention to the screen. good luck]

CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…