windows 98SE re-install?

Dave123 08:06 04 Apr 03

I recently installed a tutorial program for microsoft access on my PC. As it was not very good I uninstalled it using the uninstall option that was part of the package. Now every time I swithch the PC on I get messages saying links/files are missing. one of the messages will not clear but going to another program which re-draws the whole screen removes it. i think everything works ok although I could not read e-mails last night, but I could access the internet, it could be "their end". If the problem persists, can windows be re-installed without loosing all my stuff that I have on the PC?

Thanks

recap 09:36 04 Apr 03

Dave123, Windows will go on top but, you will lose any settings that you have.

Before doing an install have you tried the repair option for Windows?

Dave123 09:39 04 Apr 03

thanks for advise. How do I find the repair option.

recap 09:43 04 Apr 03

When you boot your system up press F8 on your keyboard, you will then be presented with a couple of options select repair, you will need the CD for this.

Dave123 09:45 04 Apr 03

Thanks, I'll give it a go, is it always F8 or does it vary does the set-up key ?

recap 10:04 04 Apr 03

F8 is the only way that I know of Dave123.

Dave123 10:06 04 Apr 03

Thanks for help.

AudioVic' 00:14 05 Apr 03

and keep all settings is to do this:

Insert W98 Cd in drive

exit the autorun window.

browse the cd in Windows explorer

open the folder W98

open the folder TOOLS

open the folder SYSREC

double click on PCRESTOR

Pcrestor is a batch file and is actually pcrestor.bat

This will restore W98 yet keep all your settings EXCEPT keyboard language (defaults to english US) and Regional settings. However, no problem as these can be reset from control panel after the restore to EN keyboard and British GM regional settings.

With this method, it is fully automatic without any user intervention at any time. It does not even look for drivers, as it sees what ones you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…