Windows 98se re-install

msmop 13:58 26 Jan 03

My system is getting slower and slower. Would things improve if I formatted the harddrive and re-installed Windows 98se, and while I was at it have a separate drive for games etc, and another for all my music Programs and graphics. Is there a website I can go to for help and advice so that I know the why's and the wherefore's and be thoroughly informed and prepared before attempting this, as I have no wish to mess things up altogether?

Janet

Rayuk 14:00 26 Jan 03

This may be of help to you
click here

Diemmess 15:38 26 Jan 03

You asked a general question, so here is a general sort of answer.
Things will probably improve dramatically for a while. (Until it becomes a bit cluttered again!)

Having said that, you already sense what is best to do next. Plan to fit a second HD or partition the one you have, to keep Windows and most of the rest apart.

Finally having decided what you are going to do then plan it through with yourself, and make sure before you disturb things -...... That your data is safe away from this drive, that you have all the application disks and drivers handy, and are prepared for about an hour's intensive effort to
be rid of the old and have a bare, but bonny and clean new Win 98SE up and running.

Finally many more hours re-installing your apps, and tweaking thing to run the way they should.

Good luck and a clear brain!

pj123 16:47 26 Jan 03

how big is the hard drive that you have?.

You need at least a 40gb hard drive to do what you have in mind.

msmop 07:47 27 Jan 03

I have a 30gb memory so it looks like I had better forget about partitioning the drive,eh?

janet

MalcSP 09:19 27 Jan 03

Don't let the size of your hard drive deter you from what you want to do. I have carried out similar changes on drives of less than 10Gb! This PC I am using is partitioned and has only an 8Gb Hard Drive.

MartinT-B 09:29 27 Jan 03

You only need the extra partition(s) for data.

I used to load me games onto my E: drive (D: is the winswap file only) and it's not that efficient. A lot of the game will still load into the windows directory (on C:) and those bits that don't will need to refer to it. By laoding onto a different drive you slow the game down very slightly but you alos give it more chance to make an error.

Load all your programs onto C: but copy the data storage (save folders etc.) to your new drive.

The average PC user will only really need a max of 4 or 5GB data storage partition

pj123 11:32 27 Jan 03

Sorry, I didn't read your posting properly.

I have a 40gb hard drive partitioned in to 2 x 20.

my intention was to do exactly what you are planning. But with 2 20gb and only leaving the windows and programmes on the first partition i am not using a lot space. I now think it would have been better to partition 1 as 5gb and other as 35gb. my suggestion is now (if you still want to go ahead) is to partition your disk in to 1 at 5gb and the other at 25gb. that way you will have more storage space on the second but still enough room on the main disk if you instal other programmes.

Apologies.

Pete

msmop 07:21 28 Jan 03

Thanks everyone for your imput. It has given me food for thought and I shall consider it all carefully before doing anything else.

Janet

stuntmaster 09:35 28 Jan 03

about re-installing win 98se. is it an OEM version? if yes then you might experience problems when setting up hardware after win 98se is re-installed (problems with .vxd files). I did and had to go buy win me instead. if no to the question above then you are alright (i Presume).

I hope this helps

regards stuntmaster.

Djohn 09:43 28 Jan 03

stuntmaster, the fact that the disk maybe oem will have no effect at all on the installation, as the disk contains exactly the same information as the retail one, as far as the O/S is concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…