Windows 98SE Q239887 update

Mollo 12:40 04 Jul 05

Using Windows Explorer browsing through my system I came across C:\Windows\INF\QFE\Win98.SE file.

When opened it contained information which ended with the following:

UpdName=Windows98 Second Edition Q239887 update.
AdvPack Warn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll"

I've never had this message show on the screen so what is it. I must say that $24 a pop email assistance from Microsoft looks a bit expensive when you want help with their product since free support expired.

If I need a new file version how do I get one?

VoG II 12:53 04 Jul 05
  Mollo 13:38 04 Jul 05

Thanks
I've got the file now how do I replace the old one?

VoG II 13:41 04 Jul 05

You should be able just to copy it to

C:\windows\system

Mollo 14:02 04 Jul 05

Thanks again

I had already done that but the old file was "Typed" as Application Extension. I Renamed it as a .bak file.

The new file is "typed" as a folder.Is there a difference? And will it still work? By the way what does it do?

VoG II 14:05 04 Jul 05

It sounds as if you have not unzipped the file that you downloaded. Winzip click here (free download) will do this. Then extract the unzipped file to the system folder.

This is what it does click here

Mollo 14:35 04 Jul 05

Thanks again

I repeated the "Unzip" procedure and it still shows as a folder. I opened the folder and the appllication extension is in there with a small text file from dll.com. Having done this I found I had three versions of the file. I deleted the oldest version and then renamed the other as a.bak file.
Sorry to be a pain but as you can see I'm no IT Techie.
How will I know it is working ok?

VoG II 14:56 04 Jul 05

You won't know until you try to install an .inf file by rifgt clicking and selecting Install.

Mollo 12:55 05 Jul 05

All is not well.
When I started today I got an error message that the .dll file was missing.
Although everything seemed to run o.k. when I clicked o.k. in the error message box, I played safe and restored the original file.
How do I get the new file out of the folder and working in the system.

VoG II 13:04 05 Jul 05

Mail me by clicking the yellow envelope next to my name. I'll send you the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…