Windows 98SE Pssword

1jacks64 15:08 08 Feb 04

I have set up a password on my machine but you only have to click on cancel and you are able to bypass it.

Does anyone know why this is? & Is there a way of making the machine secure?

1jacks64 15:15 08 Feb 04

How Come no-ones answering my post?

I'm afraid that's what 98SE does! Best way is to hide the mouse!

DieSse 15:19 08 Feb 04

You can make the machine more secure with a BIOS paaaword. This stops the system booting up at all. Of course it can be circumvenyed by removing the CMOS battery, or resetting the CMOS with the jumper - but it deters casual "users".

If you click cancel where you have doen, you will find that any stored passwords, for web access, and not available.

The general idea is to giev controlled access to variuos users - not to prevent access altogether - however any Win9X system is never really secure - as it was never designed with this in mind.

DieSse 15:21 08 Feb 04

"How Come no-ones answering my post?"

- less than 10 mins - have a tad more patience.

DieSse 15:21 08 Feb 04

well less than 12 mins anyway!

LastChip 15:32 08 Feb 04

So first, go to Run and type regedit [OK] and then select Registry; Export Registry File, and select a location and name for the file, so that you could import it if things go wrong!

Having made your backup, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon and in the right hand pane, look for the value;

MustBeValidated

If it is not there, right click in the pane and select NEW DWORD

Name it MustBeValidated (exactly as written here - one word, select enter) and now double click it and give it a value of 1

Close regedit and reboot; fingers crossed all should be well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…