windows 98se or xp

andygpz 15:41 22 Oct 03

hello is windows xp better than windows 98se,i had 98se installed when i bought my comp but a lot of my friends have xp and say its better,do i have to buy a new disc if i want to change to xp and will i lose everything on my comp if i change

soy 15:48 22 Oct 03

Xp is much much better than 98SE. Its more stable and almost never crashes. PLus theres new features.

If you have a full original 98SE installation disk, you can upgrade to XP with an upgrade disk, otherwise a full copy of XP is needed (Recommended method).

You won't lose anything from your old PC if you back up all your stuff onto removable media such as CD-R's or even a second hard drive.

andygpz 15:52 22 Oct 03

any idea of the cost of a new xp disc

Mango Grummit 15:57 22 Oct 03

First of all you have to ask yourself if your computer with 98 does what you need or expect from it. If not then ask yourself again, will XP provide the extra that I am seeking?

Then make your own decision ignoring advice of anyone who has already spent their money on XP. Unlikely they are going to say it was a mistake.

To be clear, I fell into the trap of going to XP, spent my money on it only to discover that it can do no more for my requirements than WinME, which I still use. I admit to getting carried along with the hype, listened to others, wasted my money, big mistake --- indeed, gross error but there you go, we all do it from time to time.

Mango Grummit 16:00 22 Oct 03

There is nothing wrong with XP (apart from the fact it is a bit colouring book/playskewl) by the way and if I did not have a workable OS I would buy it.

BurrWalnut 16:03 22 Oct 03

Although Win98SE is a good operating system, its life is nearly over in that Microsoft will soon be withdrawing support for it.

The choice is yours (I prefer WinXP).

AubreyS 16:05 22 Oct 03
  andygpz 16:10 22 Oct 03

thanks for the advice i will think it over

soy 16:18 22 Oct 03

From the ebuyer site, an Upgrade disk will cost about £75, while the full version costs £147.50.

click here

If you don't mind buying from ebay, you can get a full OEM version of XP home edition for £64.79.

click here

Mango Grummit 16:22 22 Oct 03

There is no support for me, you, your average Austin A35 or Morris Minor, the NHS, my mother, my sons/daughters/and whatever they've produced, or Sam the Muppet ... but, you know, really ... who needs it?

We still manage to carry on ... some of us always will.......... so long as you keep back-ups and have "Drive Image."

Oooh no. That is not quite right -- didn't work with my father - even with support :o)

Legolas 17:05 22 Oct 03

XP is the best WIN OS to date more stable than 95,98,98se and ME. I like ME also but the way XP installs its own drivers for so many of my bits of hardware makes reinstalling stuff a doddle. I like it a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…