Windows 98SE Memory limit

grand5sire 20:49 24 Apr 07

I understand that the max memory with W98SE is 512mb.

Does this limit include any memory on a graphics card? it seems to as My PC has run for some time with 256MB plus 64 MB on the ASUS graphics card.

When I added a second 256 Mb card the PC won't start and can only be started after un installing the graphics card. I don't have on board graphics so can't use the full 512mb ststem memory.

The PC will run XP with the 512 mb + graphics card, but not W98.

MAJ 21:11 24 Apr 07

How do you start it without the graphics card?

Simsy 22:06 24 Apr 07

I had 512Mg plus the memory on the graphics card, so I don't think that's the issue...

More recently, with WinXP, I had a situation where 2 sticks of RAM wouldn't work together, but either would work on it's own... and all permutations of slots were tried. They were the same spec, but different makes.

Perhaps you have a similar situation.

You could try "Cacheman", (click here) ,which enables win98 to use more than 512, but I suspect that's not the origin of the problem...

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

rodriguez 22:21 24 Apr 07

RAM is one of the craziest things to replace. If you use 2 sticks, I think they have to be exactly right. They need to be the same frequency, same speed etc. If one is different, then one will run faster than the other and cause problems. When buying RAM it's best to either buy 2 sticks in one go, use a single higher capacity stick or make sure all it's spec is identical to the one that you already have.

Stuartli 22:56 24 Apr 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…