windows 98se loading problem

clarky8325 13:40 19 Nov 03

just been asked to take a look at a machine that boots up and finishes with an empty desktop.
the menu bar is visible for a fraction of a second and then disappears. Task Manager shows no programs running whatsoever.

The machine boots fine in safe mode.

Any suggestions to the problem greatly received.

billyliv 14:10 19 Nov 03

Hi, I would suspect Graphic drivers are corrupt.cheersd, Bill

clarky8325 14:19 19 Nov 03

way to deal with this is?

Diemmess 15:22 19 Nov 03

Just a wild guess because I have never tinkered with this, .........but try Start > Settings > Active desktop and then take your pick between Customise my Desktop and Update Now.......... It may not be what you want, but any change should be reversible.

billyliv 00:35 20 Nov 03

Hi, I would think that the way to deal this prob. Is, Use a start-up disc, then a re-instal over the top to start with. (Safe mode, as you know will start your system with the Generic drivers supplied by your Operating System). Normally a re-instal will find the hardware and re-instal the required drivers. If the drivers are not avaliable, (Even on Installation CD) the web is the next source. You will need a computer that can connect to the internet,( A mates maybe), download the needed drivers onto a floppy or a CD/R, and go through the tedious procedure of transferring the drivers onto the tempremental, offending, machine. Long winded but worth it when it fires up as it should. Good luck with it. Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…