Windows 98SE Installation

chevysrock39 23:45 15 Nov 05

My Laptop has no CD-Drive, so I can't reinstall Windows 98SE. I have the disk, and access to another computer with a floppy and cd drive. Is there a way to create Windows 98SE installation floppy disks?

Skyver 23:54 15 Nov 05

Can you connect the two machines via network cable?
You can get a Win98 boot disk click here - run it and it will extract the disk to a blank floppy.

DieSse 23:57 15 Nov 05

No - there isn't.

How about an external USB cd-drive.

OR - a mounting kit to put the laptop hard drive into a desktop - then copy the Win98se cd into a folder - then back into the laptop and install from that folder.

Chegs ® 00:04 16 Nov 05

You could,but its gonna take you forever.Copy the 98se CD to the other PC,use a file-splitter to chop the CD on HD into 1.4Mb pieces,transfer them all to the laptop then run the batch file created by the splitter to reassemble on laptops HD,and hope the 500+ pieces still work afterwards.

There was a thread awhile ago in PCA from a guy who was trying this with Office(I think)I ceased following the thread so never knew if it worked afterwards. ;-)

Strawballs 00:18 16 Nov 05

Set the machine to boot from cd and do it the same as xp I did not think that this could be done but a friend in the IT dept at work suggested it and it works just like booting from the floppy. The files needed to create the 98 boot floppy are on the full 98se disc and it boots into these.

Chegs ® 00:35 16 Nov 05

The machine thats wanting 98se on has no CD drive,only a floppy drive.

Skills 00:45 16 Nov 05

Buy a caddy to mount the laptop hard drive into and then copy the installation files onto it from your other computer refit the hard drive and then run the setup program.

chevysrock39 04:27 17 Nov 05

I would like to thank all of you for your responses. I was able to create the file chunks and re-assemble them with the batch file. Just so you know, the laptop has no ethernet port. Just a phone line!(how ancient) I was thinking about buying an ethernet card, but it was $50! Maybe when it goes down a bit...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…