windows 98SE installation

turnip 60 02:21 02 Mar 04

My son wants to install windows 98se on his pc, at the moment he has win.ME but doesnt like it.
He gets as far as starting to load win98 and he gets a message ' you must remove your current OS before installing win98' What is the best way for him to do this.
thanks

hugh-265156 04:19 02 Mar 04

do you have a windows ME cdrom just in case you wish to reinstall it at a later date again?if winME was pre installed this will delete it.just to let you know.

to do this is easy enough.you need to first of all format the hard drive.

download a windows 98se oem bootdisk from click here copy to a floppy disk and boot with the disk in the drive(you may need to change the floppy drive as the first boot device in your bios first if it doesnt boot from it)

then see halfway down page "How to Prepare the Hard Disk for the Windows 98 Installation Procedure" and all the info after that click here (print it out may help and follow step by step)

hugh-265156 04:19 02 Mar 04

do you have a windows ME cdrom just in case you wish to reinstall it at a later date again?if winME was pre installed this will delete it.just to let you know.

to do this is easy enough.you need to first of all format the hard drive.

download a windows 98se oem bootdisk from click here copy to a floppy disk and boot with the disk in the drive(you may need to change the floppy drive as the first boot device in your bios first if it doesnt boot from it)

then see halfway down page "How to Prepare the Hard Disk for the Windows 98 Installation Procedure" and all the info after that click here (print it out may help and follow step by step)

turnip 60 22:31 02 Mar 04

Thanks alot Huggyg71
sorry i took so long in answering .best wishes

turnip 60 22:31 02 Mar 04

Thanks alot Huggyg71
sorry i took so long in answering .best wishes

VoG II 22:43 02 Mar 04

Not sure if this will work but worth a shot if you don't want to reformat click here

VoG II 22:43 02 Mar 04

Not sure if this will work but worth a shot if you don't want to reformat click here

woodchip 22:47 02 Mar 04

Best way is start from scratch, with a Startup floppy disc from click here

a Windows98se OEM put a disc in comp and double click the download to create a Startup disc. then start the comp with disc and type at A:\>format like this

A:\>format and press enter. you can then run the win setup for 98 if you need more instructions come back

woodchip 22:47 02 Mar 04

Best way is start from scratch, with a Startup floppy disc from click here

a Windows98se OEM put a disc in comp and double click the download to create a Startup disc. then start the comp with disc and type at A:\>format like this

A:\>format and press enter. you can then run the win setup for 98 if you need more instructions come back

turnip 60 23:01 02 Mar 04

thanks woodchip I will have him try your way first.
ATB.

turnip 60 23:01 02 Mar 04

thanks woodchip I will have him try your way first.
ATB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now