Windows 98SE Help

SURVEY 16:40 06 Nov 08

I have an old Hi-Grade laptop running Windows 98SE. A friend has requested this for non-internet use, just WP and Excel. In deleting programs and cleaning it up I must have accidentally erased a file – Windows\System\MSVCRT.DLL.

On a restart Windows loads almost to the Password screen and then a screen note confirms that this file is missing. This also happens in Safe Mode.

I have a copy of this missing file on both a memory stick and also a 3.5” floppy. I can access a C: prompt on the laptop but cannot load the file. It appears that the computer does recognise any other drive/input device?

I do have a copy of Windows 98SE but somehow I have lost the Authentication code.

Any help please before I ditch the laptop?

SURVEY 16:45 06 Nov 08

I should have added that I can insert my password but then a screen mesage comes up saying 'Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall Windows

sil_ver 16:51 06 Nov 08

Have a look at this. You shouldn't need the authentication code unless you are re-installing the O/S click here

SURVEY 17:01 06 Nov 08

sil_ver - your link is for Windows XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 06 Nov 08

A floppy drive?

Boot from a windows 98 start up disk click here will have one if you don't.

then from the A:\ prompt you can swap disks and copy the file from the floppy to the system folder.

copy MSVCRT.DLL c:\windows\system

SURVEY 17:28 06 Nov 08

Fruit bat - that is what I thought. Although I saved the file as msvcrt.dll - it says when |I DIR the floppy on the laptop that ther are 19 files! If I try to copy these over individually I get a message saying 0 files copied!

zarobian 17:50 06 Nov 08

Boot with your 98SE floppy disk and then at command prompt type "SYS C:"without quotes and press enter.This will copy all system files to your hard disk.
A:\SYS C:
Worth trying.

'Z'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 06 Nov 08

It will only copy the root files such as command.com Io.sys etc.

SURVEY
on a proper W98 boot disk there are 30 files you will need to boot from the disk to get DOS working correctly

SURVEY 18:04 06 Nov 08

Well I did manage to copy over the missing file - may have been a dodgy floppy!! I now can acess Windows so can I do a repair with a scannow type routine as with XP? I have found that ther are one or two other missing files

SURVEY 18:58 06 Nov 08

OK, I now seem to only have the following problems. After loading (but not preventing full use of laptop I get the following 3 messages:

LTMOH.EXE is linked to MFC42.dll:6633
LTMOH.EXE is linked to MFC42.dll:6633
CREATECD50.EXE is linked to MFC42.dll:6662

Would a RegScrub work although I believe it may only be for XP. I have used CCleaner.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 06 Nov 08

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac