windows 98se

picklsey 04:33 29 Mar 07

i have been given a pc with 98se on it and i,m going to see if i can get it up and running.it boots up ok,but it needs a good clear out.

before i mess about with it i would like to know is there a way i can back up the o/s to my external h/d.i have the s/number on the case but no disc for it.it doesn,t have a burner on it but it has a floppy drive.

what i,m hoping to do is format the hard drive and start again but as i say the lady who gave me it lost the disc a while ago.

AndySD 04:55 29 Mar 07

A simple answer.....no

What you can do though is ask everyone you know if they have the cd and then copy it. Its the serial number that is important.

It will probably be a good idea to back off the hard disk to yours and then burn this to disk just in case there is any info she needs to be kept.

Also do you have copies of any software (Office etc) that is already on the PC before you start.

picklsey 05:08 29 Mar 07

thanks for response i will ask around and see if i can get a copy.no problem about wiping the h/d as the lady gave it to me to do what i want with it rather than throwing it out.thanks again.

Wak 08:58 29 Mar 07

I would suggest that you download a program called XXCOPY from click here and CLONE the entire contents of the Win 98 comp onto the external hard drive.
This will copy the entire O/System files, Registry, Programs and Data files.
Once you have the cloned copy you can then try to clean up the original computer.
If you fail you can still clone the original system back on to the original computer.

This might also help.
click here

picklsey 10:51 29 Mar 07

thanks for that that gives me an option.i have given the pc a quick look and it only has a 2gig h/d and i think (or hope)i have a larger one lying around some where.thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5