windows 98 wont run ? why

end 16:42 30 Sep 04

colleague running win 98 ; before adding printer/scanner/copier to PC , ran ok, then after programing PC for the HP printer, refuses to load up beyond getting the Microsoft windows screan; gets buzzing noice from tower as soon as PC swicthed on;
disconnected new equipment from PC but still refuses to load up, and reconnected to printer but again refuses to load up;

(colleague is a beginner where dealing with computer problems are concerned , so basic, simple instructions on what to do or try would be apprreciated please; I have not seen the machine myself, but this is what she has described to me).

if necessary I will go and see the machine myself, but ideas on what to do or look for would be appreciated please;
tas

is NOT connected to the internet, so hopefully has not got any bugs/viruses on the thing:)
any suggestions please team...

VoG II 16:46 30 Sep 04

See if it will start in Safe Mode click here

Then Start, MS-DOS (not quite sure where this is exactly in 98) and at the > prompt type

scanreg /restore

and press the Enter key. You should get a list of dates to restore from. Choose one (not the latest).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 30 Sep 04

If she has a boot disk then boot from floppy then:

From a:> type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and hit ENTER.

If no floppy try boot to Command prompt c:\ then type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and hit ENTER.

end 17:08 30 Sep 04

she does not know what a boot disk is;
how does she boot to command prompt?

will be seeing her on Monday to try [email protected] suggestions, or how far she has managed, if at all, to get with them.
if necessary I will go and look at the machine armed with all these things to do, but will not have acceess to the net nor the forum at that machine:(

please keep suggestions coming , for my probable site visit,( yet another one!! ) and thanks team::))

VoG II 17:10 30 Sep 04

You can download a boot disk onto a floppy from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 30 Sep 04

tap either F4 or F8 when booting to get a boot menu up select command prompt from there.

end 17:14 30 Sep 04

thanks peoples; keep ideas coming, and will report back; and my colleague says a BIG THANKS::))( and so do I!!)

end 20:51 30 Sep 04

which one on your click here do I choose to put onto floppy for her please?

VoG II 20:57 30 Sep 04

For what you want to do it should not make any difference. Note that the Alt1, Alt2 etc. are just different download sites.

end 21:05 30 Sep 04

tas:)

something is now on floppy..i think:)
just hope if I have to, that her machine will let it load and run..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…