Windows 98 won't boot up

Barnacarry 14:23 14 Jan 06

My old Advent computer with Windows 98 and 128 mbs of RAM is now refusing to start. All goes well at boot-up until it reaches -
'Starting Windows 98...'
'MODE prepare code page function completed'
'MODE select code page function completed'
C:\>
I have no knowledge of DOS, and this has never happened before, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

woodchip 14:31 14 Jan 06

Will it start in Safe Mode? Keep pressing F5 when computer booting up. If it goes, Go to Run type MSCONFIG and remove all the tickes in startup tab exept System Tray, then try starting the computer Normal

Barnacarry 14:39 14 Jan 06

It won't start in safe mode, it comes up with -
'Windows is bypassing your startup files.
HIMEM is testing extended memory...done.
C:\>

woodchip 14:42 14 Jan 06

Then use F8 and choose selective start up, You will have to Click yes for items untill it does the above make a note of the item that is the problem. Then next time you start as above select no for the item that stopped it starting

Barnacarry 14:49 14 Jan 06

If I understood you correctly, I have put yes to everything that came up and again it ended with C:\>

woodchip 19:33 14 Jan 06

The Item that you last click should be ticked as no not yes it may then boot to windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…