Windows 98 wont boot up

ikle_pixie 22:18 24 Dec 04

When you turn it on the bios does its thing, then it gets as far as the windows 98 loading splash screen and then goes straight to "it is safe to turn off you computer" and powers down. If i boot from the CD It does a scan disk and then says theres an error that needs fixing and says it will but then goes back to dos. The hard drive has a lot of stuff on it which i would like to recover, so is there anything else i can try before formating.

help!

Carl @ UD 22:23 24 Dec 04

Sounds like the hard drive is dying.:-(

ikle_pixie 22:25 24 Dec 04

ouch....it is an old computer...its not mine (thank god) my boyfriends...

So do you think theres no hope of recovering his stuff...

wobblymike 22:32 24 Dec 04

Worst case - get a replacement HDD, install a clean copy of your OS then set your old drive to slave, connect it up boot up your machine and as long as the BIOS can see it you stand a sporting chance of recovering your data.
If you need chapter and verse how to do this post back.

ikle_pixie 22:34 24 Dec 04

ok...i should be ok with that...but it wont work if i make it slave to a windows 2000 hdd will it?

wobblymike 22:35 24 Dec 04

Yes it certainly will

wobblymike 22:39 24 Dec 04

PS - If you're going to change OS why don't you go for XP - the difference between them is akin to travelling to work on a 2 wheel bike against the wind or in a chauffeur driven car - you get there in both but its a much nicer experience in the car. So too XP aginst 2000. Just a thought

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:39 24 Dec 04

I think there is a virus that causes this.

Try going into safe mode (F8 while booting) and run a virus check.

ikle_pixie 22:47 24 Dec 04

yeah i thought virus too..wont run in safe mode...

ikle_pixie 22:53 24 Dec 04

lol wobblymike...i know, but i think its because i'm so used to 2000 now..

woodchip 23:32 24 Dec 04

Try this with a Windows Startup Floppy disc. Start Computer with the Floppy disc in, then let it load to A:\> now type SCANREG /RESTORE it should look like this

A:\>SCANREG /RESTORE

now press enter choose a date with the keyboard that is before the bad startup and press enter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…