Windows 98 Wireless Laptop Problem

robert22 10:48 05 Jul 07

I have a dell C600 laptop running Windows 98 SE, I have tried to connect to the internet using my sky broadband router and an edimax pci adapter but the connection is made but then drops on and off not remaining long enough connect. As Windows 98 does not support the microsoft zero config utility I am using the Ralink software supplied with the adapter. The software shows the signall strength as 100% but after the connection is established the link noise level goes up and the link is dropped. This happens on about a ten second cycle.

I had the same issue with a buffalo usb adapter and its software but though it could be due to a loose usb socket so tried the PCI adapter. Can connect with ethernet cable no problem.

Here is what I have tried already

Changed the channel as there was another router available with the same channel.
Turned off the encryption.
Removed access control so all MACs can access.
Sat with the laptop next to the router.
Removed and reinstalled the software.

On a few occasions the connect remains for up to a minute but when I try and access a web page the connection times out

I have a desktop with an internal Edimax PCI card and this can access the connection with no issues.

Strawballs 11:05 05 Jul 07

Do you know anybody else with a wireless network that you can try it on as it could be a problem with the wireless side of the router?

robert22 11:18 05 Jul 07

I will try, although desktop wireless connection has worked fine for several months using the same router although this is running the zero config utility from Microsoft.

Strawballs 22:21 05 Jul 07

Should not be router then.

Ashrich 23:35 05 Jul 07

It is tempting to say " Upgrade the OS to XP sp2 ", but you would need a ram upgrade as well , unless you have 512mb in there already , a slightly cheaper option would be to get hold of a cheap ( legal ) copy of Win 2000 , download SP4 , and run that . It supports Wireless Zero and should run Ok .

Ashley

Strawballs 10:07 06 Jul 07

XP will run on 250meg of ram

Ashrich 20:42 06 Jul 07

Strawballs .....on a low power Pentium3 and only 256mb of ram , XP will walk , not run !!

Ashley

mgmcc 21:06 06 Jul 07

<<< get hold of a cheap (legal) copy of Win 2000, download SP4, and run that. It supports Wireless Zero >>>

That's now the second posting I've seen that suggests Windows 2000 SP4 has Wireless Zero Configuration. My copy doesn't, although it does have a Service called "Wireless Configuration" described:

"Provides authenticated network access control using IEEE 802.1x for wired and wireless ethernet networks".

It isn't the equivalent of XP's Wireless Zero Configuration software which runs wireless connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…