Windows 98 - Windows Explorer Problem???

linx 21:13 24 Jan 03

I need urgent help to resolve a serious problem on my desktop computer. I believe some programs are either missing or corrupted. Windows Explorer does not function correctly, and everytime I tried to open My Computer, the screen went blank and the following message appeared.

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:00000001. The current application will be terminated"

I also could not run certain program because the exe file was no longer found.

Thanks.

Elrond 21:19 24 Jan 03

I'd suggest trying to backup any important files to start with. Until anybody else has any siggestions I would say re-install windows and all of your programs.

linx 21:34 24 Jan 03

Thanks, Elrond. The problem is I could only open the C drive and not the other D drive or E drive. Everytime I attempted to change directory, the same error message appeared.

woodchip 22:49 24 Jan 03

How much software not docs on C:\ drive

michelleuk 23:16 24 Jan 03

Hi,

With some computers they have a pc doctor and or an sos system that can help pinpoint any problmes.

However, here are my small suggestions firstly run scan disk, click 'thorough' which will do a surface (files etc) and disk surfaces, because I wouldn't really know what to do if there is a problem I always tick the automatically fix errors, it still informs you of any errors and if one cannot be fixed it provides the specific details.

Second run a complete virus scan, again a complete scan; with Nortons you can set it so it will quarantee any viruses found etc.

Thirdly I'd run the disk defragment programme as this makes sure everything is where is should be. From the moment you use the computer it will store data in different places.

Finally there is the disk cleaner, I have never used this, so I cannot advise. Also on most computers there is a wizard that once set up can get the computer to do all of thr above on a regular occaision, time date etc, all you have to remember to keep the computer on, otherwise like myself you'll get messages saying it ddidn't do it as the computer wasn't on!!!

If you have done all of the above, then my 'novice' ideas are too basic.

Take Care
Michelle
click here (my own website)

linx 11:17 25 Jan 03

woodchip, thanks. How do I find that out? Is there an easy way? Do all programs end in .exe?

linx 11:20 25 Jan 03

Thanks, Michelle. I have done some of your suggestions already but the problem remains.

BRYNIT 11:34 25 Jan 03

Are D & E CD rom drives

cb500 11:55 25 Jan 03

Try system file checker it is located under tools in system information folder also several other useful tools there.

woodchip 12:04 25 Jan 03

Go to explorer right click on C:\ drive choose Properties

anfg 12:15 25 Jan 03

Hi!
how much RAM do you have? Over 512Mb and 98 throws a wobbly similar to your problems

Tone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…