//some 3rd party need geo

Windows 98 to Windows 2000

alB 21:19 19 Oct 04

I've been offered a brand new copy of Windows 2000 and licence and I would like to install it on my PC, can I load it over the top of Windows 98se or will I have to reformat the hard drive first? ...alB

Cuddles 22:30 19 Oct 04

You can go over the top of 98 with 2000, but it is always better to go for a clean install.

gold 47 22:35 19 Oct 04

You can but the file system will be Fat32 far better todo a clean install just use FDISK to delete the prime dos partition then go to the bios and change first boot cdrom put the W2000 disk in reboot it will format and partition for you no need todo this yourself.
If this computer won't close just go to hardware
and device manager click view on the top info bar
click show hidden devices and scroll down to NT Apm legacy support you should see a little red cross and enable this.

alB 17:45 20 Oct 04

Thanks to both for your advice, If I decide to go down the road of using FDISK etc, will I have to backup off the hard drive any apps. that I want to keep or will they be left untouched as W2000 formats and partitions? ...alB

bigmike 17:30 25 May 05

Hi!
Just done the straight upgrade, on top of win98se. Had to re-load drivers for graphics card and other items, but generally all OK. Only problem now is do not get a dialling tone as modem is cut off early. From other questions here it looks like a winsock issue; so must delve deeper.
Mike

Buchan 35 19:52 25 May 05

Go their way, but can you not download to disc anything that you need to keep?

Buchan 35 19:53 25 May 05

Apologies for last misdirected suggestion. I`m an eejit

alB 21:21 25 May 05

Afraid it all went a bit pear shaped on me, after loading w2000 over w98 I had too many problems with getting the PC to a stable state that I decided a clean install was the next option, I had made a backup of my old w98 hard drive so although some of the programs won't work, personal stuff like photos etc. are OK. Still having trouble with a couple or drivers but slowly managing to get it running a bit better, looking back now I'm regreting the change of OS, but as they say...He who dares....alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…