windows 98 will not start up

andy63walsh 21:42 06 Jan 08

when i turn the desktop on windows will not start, it gives me a choice of 1-6, so i try say start in safe mode and it starts a scandisk, gets to about 28% and seems to lock there, sometimes i might get to c: but don't know what to do next, i need some of my files out of it. say i take out the hard drive, make it a slave and put it in another p.c. can i then get the files copied out that i need ?

VoG II 21:45 06 Jan 08
  woodchip 21:46 06 Jan 08

Choose Command Prompt from list, then at the prompt, type

SCANREG /RESTRORE

select old date to restore with arrow and enter key

STREETWORK 21:46 06 Jan 08

Do you get any beeps?

woodchip 21:49 06 Jan 08

note the space before /

andy63walsh 21:59 06 Jan 08

i will try these ideas tom, thanks, will let you know !

DieSse 22:09 06 Jan 08

"say i take out the hard drive, make it a slave and put it in another p.c. can i then get the files copied out that i need ?"

Yes you can.

DieSse 22:11 06 Jan 08

PS - I usually add - don't change the jumpers over - just disconnect the optical drive(s) in the other computer, and put you failing drive on the secondary cable. Avoids a few possible problems.

Or even get a cheap external USB box, and put the drive into that - saves the heartache of getting inside the other computer and disturbing anything.

andy63walsh 22:27 06 Jan 08

so leave the jumpers as they are and put the failing hard drive where the cd rom drive was. I will try this if the other things above don't work, thanks.

andy63walsh 14:44 07 Jan 08

i tried the scanreg restore, no luck, i'm now attempting putting the failing drive as a piggy back drive and try to copy

woodchip 14:51 07 Jan 08

Did you type it in run like this

SCANREG /RESTORE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…