Windows 98 vesrsion 2

dwain02 18:41 11 Nov 03

I'm wanting to set up a third family computer for broadband use and I'm told that the BT PC adapter won't work on Windows version 1. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to obtain the slight upgrade to Windows version 2 without purchasing a whole new operating system?

'the BT adapter wont work on win98' actually means that win98 doesnt support USB natively, thats the real problem. USB support can be added to win98 but rarely works very well,

But if any of the other machines act as the gateway to the net and run 98se you can attach the broadband modem to that and network the 98 system to that.

Djohn 19:07 11 Nov 03

Also in conjunction with the advice from horiz5, most recent motherboards will accept a PCI card that will give you USB connectors at the rear of your PC. You can then have an extra 4 ports at the rear. I'm reasonably certain 98 will work USB with the card and drivers. 98se will. j.

FEISAR 19:13 11 Nov 03

I'd say this is all very messy. Why dont you consider investing in a DSL/Router. They're fairly expensive but check out the benefits. The way your suggesting doing it is that one PC will be the host so that PC will always have to be on to give internet access to the other PC's. Okay but they're the router is better way to go. DSL Gateway routers also offer hardware firewall capabilities which I find a lot easier to use than any of the software solutions. Try E-buyer for good prices.

dwain02 19:15 11 Nov 03

I have a Windows XP machine which acts as what I think is the gateway (I'm not too technically minded)and I have another Windows 98 v2 machine perfectly networked. The problem is that I now want a 3rd machine to be networked and that only has Windows 98 version 1 on it. I'm told by BT that if I want to use telephone cables, I have to use a PC adapter and that won't work on v1.

I don't really understand the science of networking, but the USB ports on the computer do work despite the fact the OS is only W98 v1

roy 19:26 11 Nov 03

Are you on a 'BT Network? and if so, is it by usb and not ethernet cards?

I am not sure about networking a Win98 pc but can't see why it should be a problem. The only thing to me is that, as FEISAR says, once you try to network more than two machines you need a router.

dwain02 19:31 11 Nov 03

Thanks for your attempts to help me, but what is the difference between using a router and an ADSL modem. Do you not need to use the same number of cables? I'm just using a kit supplied to me by BT Broadband and it works well on the two machines I have connected and would probably work well on 3 if I had the correct version of Windows on the 3rd. I don't know enough about computing to know how a router would make any difference since I think it is just another method of connecting computers together by cables isn't it? The computers are all in separate rooms, so it is easier to use telephone connections I would think. For someone who doesn't know the first thing about networking this is getting mightily complicated.

dwain02 19:47 11 Nov 03

Incidentally, I don't have to have my main computer turned on in order for the second computer to have access to the internet, I just have to have the ADSL modem switched on. Perhaps ir is a router that BT calls a modem I haven't a clue, but there is only one ethernet connection and one USB connection on it, so you couldn't really call it a router I wouldn't think. It seems to act in a router fashion because it allows all telephone connections to be broadband enabled provided there is a PC adapter attached to the peripheral PCs. It is a BT network or at least it is a network supplied in a box by BT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…