Windows 98 V internet

madzad 18:15 02 Dec 05

Hi
I have just come to install a modem to my Toshiba tecra 8000 laptop through wanadoo and the USB port doesnt seem to read anything from the USB port and the modem. (sticks at stage 4 where you put in the modem through USB)

I had my laptop re formatted a few weeks back and wondering if there was a driver missing when the guy re imstalled windows 98?

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Skyver 18:20 02 Dec 05

Do you see any USB Device entries when you go to Control Panel/System?

csqwared 18:27 02 Dec 05

It may be different for a laptop but Wanadoo usually supply the Speedtouch 330 modem for broadband. If this is the case there is an issue with Win98 and you probably need the drivers (version 3.01) which are available from here click here. The download is listed as "Windows Driver CD"

cc

woodchip 18:29 02 Dec 05

Another way to sort it is turn Virus Software off then put the 98 disc in and run setup. you will not lose files

PC Bilbo 22:12 02 Dec 05

I have NTL BB and tried to connect my daughters laptop after reformatting and reinstalling Win98 and also hit a problem connecting to internet.

Unlike Win2k & XP which have USB drivers included, with Win98 you need to install them manually.In my case, I found them on the disk supplied with the modem.

madzad 09:28 04 Dec 05

Thanks to everyone.. I have now ditched the idea after looking into it, of course Blue Yonder deny there is an issue with BB and windoes 98! Thanks again..

Steve UK

johnnyrocker 10:50 04 Dec 05

win 98 is not accepted as viable by most isp's because of it's poor usb support, you need as minimum 98se.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…