//some 3rd party need geo

Windows 98 Upgrade problems

dac2000_uk 13:52 08 Aug 03

I have bought a windows 98 CD ROM to update an old windows 95 system. I put the CD in the drive and it begins to set up but then says ""You already have an operating system installed. You need to use a Windows 98 Upgrade disc"" Is it because I have windows 95 already installed that i cant use this and I need an upgrade disc instead? Can I not use a normal Windows 98 disc? Should I remove windows 95 operating system and then try installing windows 98? Is there anything I can do without having to go out and buy an ""upgrade"" disc when I have already bought the normal one?

JIM 14:06 08 Aug 03

remove windows 95 operating system (format) and then install windows 98. Make sure you have win startup disk handy before.

Win 98se would be the better choice unless thats what you have.

Is the spec of the system upto win98 taking into consideration what you may use it for?

dac2000_uk 14:06 08 Aug 03

help!

dac2000_uk 14:36 08 Aug 03

Hi Jim,
I dont know whether the spec will take windows 98 or not. I'm only going to be using for office work, not really games or anything.
The computer has a 1.61 gb hard drive not sure about the ram...do you think windows 98 would be a good option? Also, what advantages does windows 98 have over 95?

JIM 17:31 08 Aug 03

To be honest i would not bother,

your memory will be low,the 1.61 gb hard drive plus everything else if still stock not good.

I would sooner run a clean install of win95 with only the basics loaded and something like office 97 for the word processing.

windows 98 was not great without the service pack
the win98se was lot better. It really has had it's day for to do anything else.

Saying that it is up to you.

dac2000_uk 00:00 09 Aug 03

Thanks Jim, I'm going to take your advice and just leave it as it is. Like you say it may be a bad idea installing windows 98. Do you think Office 2000 would work okay on this machine or should I go with your initial advice and install office 97?

JIM 08:34 09 Aug 03

Office 2000 would work fine.I would do a custom install, to limit the size of the take up on the hard drive if it was me.

Just use the Office disk as a source for what ever you need after the basics are loaded.It is fun to have an old system to cuss now and then.

dac2000_uk 15:25 09 Aug 03

Thanks Jim, I'm gonna try Office 2000 and thanks for the advice about doing a custom install, saving space on the hard drive is vital...I think the capacity is only about 1.6 gb! Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…