Windows 98 Upgrade to ME ?

night 18:25 23 Mar 05

I have a Gateway Computer with Windows 98 installed, I have a genuine Windows ME Upgrade disc,is there any reason why the Upgrade should not Update ok or not.? or will it boot up ok after the upgrade.

alan227 18:54 23 Mar 05

Just to be on the safe side back up all your important files, then do the upgrade.
Their is no reason it should not upgrade, when this is completed go online and download any further updates from the Microsoft web site.

Diodorus Siculus 18:57 23 Mar 05

For what it's worth, I see little point in upgrading if you have 98SE; if 98, then worth while if you have all correct drivers available for your hardware.

citadel 19:27 23 Mar 05

only worth upgrading if you are going to xp

Chris the Ancient 19:34 23 Mar 05

I'd stick with 98SE. I used to have it and then upgraded to ME (before the days of XP) and wished I never had. It was very glitchy.

I know have a lappie as well - that came with 98SE - and no way will I dig out the upgrade. I shall stay with the good old work horse.

I always felt that ME was not one thing or the other.

Strawballs 19:42 23 Mar 05

As Diodorus Siculus said only do it if you have 98 not 98SE otherwise it would be a downgrade

wiz-king 19:42 23 Mar 05

ME was a a cobbled together hotchpotch system, when it works it is good but a lot of people had problems with it. The advantages would not make me upgrade to it, we have windows 3.1, 95, 98se ME and XP at work and ME is the one that gives most 'blue screens' and problems.

woodchip 19:51 23 Mar 05

From ME don't do it

Terry Brown 19:55 23 Mar 05

I upgraded from Win 98 to ME, I did not format the drive, WinME installed itself over the top of Win98 and even reset my office files to the new system. No problems whatsoever, if anything it seems to run better and faster

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…