Windows 98 updates stuck on desktop

Phil2 23:59 15 May 03

I saved some Windows 98 updates to my computer as advised in PC Advisor May 2003 to be able to install them again if the hard disk crashed. Unfortunately a number of these update files (.EXE)saved themselves onto the desktop but unlike other files they can't be dragged into another folder as this just creates a shortcut. Deleting them (including emptying the wastebasket) makes them disappear but they reappear next time I log on. Any ideas for tidying away these files?

tell 00:59 16 May 03

you could try cut and paste see if that will allow you to place them in a folder

Taff36 09:07 16 May 03

Try this - In explorer find the folder called desktop that contains your desktop icons and these files. I suggest you open explorer highlight your C drive and then search for one of the files.

In the search results look for the file in a folder called desktop. Make a note of the full path to this folder then navigate to it in explorer. Now cut and paste them somewhere else. (I always have a folder called upgrades underneath MY DOCUMENTS to store such files)

I`m sorry I work with XP now so I don`t know exactly where your desktop folder may be in Windows 98 - I`m sure someone will let you know if you can`t find it using the above.

Stuartli 09:31 16 May 03

They will be listed in one of the Temporary Internet folders (whichever one you use); the desktop icon is just a shortcut and can normally be deleted as usual.

As Taff36 explains you will have to search for the files, which may not be readily apparent just by the file name; right clicking a file and checking Properties will provide clues such as the date.

I remember the first time I downloaded about 15 of these updates/patches (due to earlier connection problems) and found it a bit of a bind..:-)

You also have to manually delete each update file after installing it, otherwise it will remain in the folder.

Phil2 23:14 18 May 03

Thanks for the help, people. Navigating to the actual Desktop folder allowed me to remove the files after running them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…