windows 98 update failure

dnw 10:45 10 Jun 03

When I use windows update on the star menue I get the message "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use Windows Update".

As far as I am aware, Windows is the only operating system I have.

Can anyone please help?

bof:) 10:56 10 Jun 03

Hi dnw,

Don't quote me on this but I think Microsoft have finished or are going to finish soon providing help/updates for Windows 98 and operating systems before it.

If this is information is not correct I'm sure someone will put me right.

Mike

Mike

keith-236785 11:40 10 Jun 03

Which windows version are you using?, 98,95,ME,2000,XP, 3.1 god forbid.........

if you dont know, right click on My Computer choose properties, all the info you need is there.

bof:)

you are correct, Microsoft are set to withdraw support for windows98 shortly. don't know the exact date though,

keith-236785 11:44 10 Jun 03

click here

click above link to get to windows update section then look for info about your Version

Valvegrid 13:01 10 Jun 03

paperman27 the link doesn't seem to work.

The support ends at the end of this month for Win 98, here is the text:

Key Dates:

No-charge incident support ends June 30, 2003
Extended hotfix support ends June 30, 2003
Paid incident support ends January 16, 2004
Details:

Microsoft will offer paid-incident support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) through January 16, 2004. Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE downloads for existing security issues will continue to be available through regular assisted-support channels at no charge during this time. Customers can request Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE fixes for new security issues, and these requests will be reviewed. Fixes for any new security issues can be specifically requested through regular assisted-support channels. Web-based self-help support will be available for at least one year after assisted support ends. Mainstream support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE ended on June 30, 2002. No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support end on June 30, 2003.

Support for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 on Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE

Support for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 on Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ends on January 16, 2004

Support for all other versions of Internet Explorer will end according to the dates noted on the Product Support Lifecycle Web site

This is the link, you'll have to cut and paste it without the space after the http://

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-gb;lifewin98

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…