Windows 98 is taking over 2 hours to boot up. Help

bullys 14:55 27 Feb 03

Got in this morning and one of my staff here switched on windows 98 machine and it had not booted up for at least 2 hours.

What changes i did..

I had pushed Macafee updates yesterday which i thought might have caused the problem. It might be doing a sys scan whilest booting . But i have disabled the AV. Still takes ages to boot up.

I can boot in safe mode and it works fine. I have had a look in msconfig and theres nothing unusual in there what could be causing this. what else can i do in safe mode?

Once it boots up after 2 hours theres no problem with the machine at all . Just that it takes ages to boot. WHY!!!???

Need help and need it fast. Thanks for reading .

Stuartli 14:59 27 Feb 03

This is the Microsoft Windows 98 page on the subject:

click here;en-us;Q150516

woodchip 15:08 27 Feb 03

start your computer and press f8 when starting choose create a boot file which will be in explorer under C:\ Download Bla.exe you can then look at the boot times of each item that is recorded you should easy see what the problem is

woodchip 15:10 27 Feb 03

PS if you cannot find Bla.exe send your E-Mail by the envelope by my nickname and I will send it

Stuartli 15:12 27 Feb 03

Also, if woodchip's sound advice doesn't offer a possible solution:

click here;en-us;w98

pj123 15:44 27 Feb 03

When did it last boot up correctly? If it wasn’t more than five times ago, try a Registry Restore. Switch on and keep hitting the F8 key until you get a menu. Choose: Safe Mode Command Prompt Only and press enter.
When you get to the C:\ prompt type CD C:\windows\command and press enter.
Once there type scanreg /restore. and press enter. The system will run the Windows Registry Checker and come up with a list of five backed-up Registries and their corresponding backup dates. Choose the date that is nearest to the date before the problem occurred, press enter and the Registry will be restored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…