Windows 98 Support Ends Today!

Chris-347369 08:10 11 Jul 06

Had a quick scroll through to see whether anyone else had posted this and didn't see anything so.....

For those that don't know Microsoft are pulling the plug on Windows 98 as from today.

No more updates and no more over the phone support. They are urging users to upgrade.

Taff™ 09:33 11 Jul 06

Thank God for that! I think I`ll do the same. I`m fed up of struggling with a system that`s way out of date, not very user friendly and running on computers that take forever to do anything more complicated than Word Processing.

That should provoke a backlash! FE had better move this to speakers corner pronto!

Taff™ 13:24 11 Jul 06

Just Received from Microsoft Technet by e-mail:

Effective October 10, 2006, assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) will end. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support or security updates. To enhance the security of your computer and to continue receiving updates, we recommend upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

jolorna 13:36 11 Jul 06

will update mine and pack it away again, always handy as a backup if this comp fails

Jimmy14 13:41 11 Jul 06

click here
According to the vote on BBC's article on Windows 98, 33.33% of people still use it, 66.67% don't.

Quote "Products affected by closing down the support system include Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (Millennium Edition). Analyst firm IDC believes that more than 70 million users will be hit by the change."

Would like to hear from people who still use 98 and are maybe disappointed at this happenening or what??

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:54 11 Jul 06

A few people I know still use 98 and if they have a decent AV (and a firewall, if necessary) coupled with Spybot or whatever they will have no problems. A bit of a Meh! for this.

G

p;3 13:55 11 Jul 06

actually it feels a bit like a blackmail ; some of us quite like win 98; however, I guess it depends on what you are using your machine for ;

Tim1964 15:09 11 Jul 06

I use Win98 (1st ed) at home as my PC is too old to use XP and now I cannot update my ZoneAlarm firewall as it no longer supports Win98.

:(

p;3 21:43 11 Jul 06

well; at present my machine will still connect to the update site::))

or is it a case of "dont hold your breath, p3"?

woodchip 21:56 11 Jul 06

I have not bothered with updates for my 98se comp for years and not had any problems.
This is my main comp, although I have two XP comps also. Where all my mail comes to and most of my work done on it

Stuartli 22:02 11 Jul 06

If you think about it, 98 (originally a better 95) is now almost 11 years old (95 was released in September 1995).

Surely it really is time to say goodbye - even XP seems old hat now at times after less than half the time 98 has been around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…