Windows 98 startup disk problems

The Sheep 15:55 05 Feb 04

Hi there. I am trying to get my PC to boot up from the startup disk so i can replace a damaged Kernel32.dll file. The problem is that the machine doesnt boot from the startup disk it just boots up as normal. I have a feeling that a year ago or so, i changed the settings in some way to allow my PC to start quicker (saw in a magazine article, something about not scanning the a drive at startup). Can anyone tell me how to go about ensuring it starts from the disk? Thanks in advance....cheers.

Eric10 15:59 05 Feb 04

You need to go into the BIOS and set the Floppy or A: drive to be the first boot device. Different BIOS lists it in different ways but it should be obvious when you see it.

LastChip 16:00 05 Feb 04

Have a look in your BIOS and see what the "First Boot" device is set to. Make sure it's floppy and your second device is the Hard Drive.

The Sheep 16:01 05 Feb 04

thanks very much for that mate.

The Sheep 16:10 05 Feb 04

hi. I have just tried to enter the BIOS and it is password protected. My PC was built by a friend of mine who is travelling at the moment and is unreachable. Is there any way i can work round this password?

Tog 16:31 05 Feb 04

If you know where the jumper is to clear CMOS, power off, move the jumper over. Power on, wait for the BIOS message, power off. Switch the jumper back and your password is cleared.

Remove the BIOS battery for a while (May need to be out for hours or it may only be seconds).

Either way, your BIOS settings will all have changed to default.

Eric10 16:33 05 Feb 04

If you can't get the above tip to work look at this site click here
I've never had any luck with the Bios backdoors but the password removing software works. Only use Killcmos as a last resort as it removes more than just the password.

Diemmess 17:04 05 Feb 04

Can't remember much except that it was an old computer for a friend, needed a better HD and the BIOS would not recognise the new HD's spec.

I did first need to know the name of the BIOS chip, and simply went down the list for about 6 possibles before striking lucky.

Fortunately there was no limit on the tries I could have, and the feeling of relief when it was suddenly accepted, was worth a lot.

Good luck

GuyR 17:16 05 Feb 04

sheep, with ref. to tog's advice you don't normally need to boot up to clear bios, as long as you short the correct pins on the motherboard. Most boards will have two sets on cmos pins, one is shorted via fitting a jumper across the pins the other may be shorted via a screwdriver blade or paper clip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…