Windows 98 Startup

nicolas500 20:13 18 Dec 04

For the past few months, when I start up my computer, I end up with a screen "MS Windows 98 Startup Menu". It then provides me with six different options with default 1 being "normal". There is also a timer for 30 seconds. By either pressing enter or just letting it run for 30 seconds, the startup continues without any problems. I just want to know why I suddenly got this screen and if it can be deleted. The startup process also seems to be taking much longer than previously. I have Windows 98SE. Any advice would be appreciated.

woodchip 20:37 18 Dec 04

Go to start\Run type MSCONFIG on the first page you should have a tick in ether of selective startup box or Normal start mode

nicolas500 20:55 18 Dec 04

Thanks but I already checked this and it still continues in the same way. Any other suggestions?

woodchip 20:59 18 Dec 04

Try running SFC from run box with Win98 CD in comp

woodchip 21:02 18 Dec 04

PS have you also checked in MSCONFIG the Advanced button, "there should not be a tick in the box" to start with show startup menu

nicolas500 09:41 20 Dec 04

Thanks, Woodchip. "Enable Startup" was ticked in the advanced section. I have removed this and the computer starts up normally. Your advice was much appreciated, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…