Windows 98 Startup

nicolas500 20:13 18 Dec 04

For the past few months, when I start up my computer, I end up with a screen "MS Windows 98 Startup Menu". It then provides me with six different options with default 1 being "normal". There is also a timer for 30 seconds. By either pressing enter or just letting it run for 30 seconds, the startup continues without any problems. I just want to know why I suddenly got this screen and if it can be deleted. The startup process also seems to be taking much longer than previously. I have Windows 98SE. Any advice would be appreciated.

woodchip 20:37 18 Dec 04

Go to start\Run type MSCONFIG on the first page you should have a tick in ether of selective startup box or Normal start mode

nicolas500 20:55 18 Dec 04

Thanks but I already checked this and it still continues in the same way. Any other suggestions?

woodchip 20:59 18 Dec 04

Try running SFC from run box with Win98 CD in comp

woodchip 21:02 18 Dec 04

PS have you also checked in MSCONFIG the Advanced button, "there should not be a tick in the box" to start with show startup menu

nicolas500 09:41 20 Dec 04

Thanks, Woodchip. "Enable Startup" was ticked in the advanced section. I have removed this and the computer starts up normally. Your advice was much appreciated, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac