Windows 98 Start Up Problems

Donna-Marie 10:17 05 Jul 04

Just a quick question, my Windows 98 Pc sometimes wont start up and when it does it just hangs on the main screen, any ideas what this is?!

I dont want to loose any of my data though :(

Diodorus Siculus 10:27 05 Jul 04

Could be any of a number of problems... too many programs loading at startup? Not enough memory? Poor drivers?

Anyway, backup data first of all!

click here

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;188867

click here

click here

for some guidelines.

Diodorus Siculus 10:29 05 Jul 04

PS whenever anyone begins with the phrase "just a quick question" I wonder will the answer be as quick! :-)

pj123 12:50 05 Jul 04

I have been called out 3 times today already to PCs that had the same problem. All 3 responded to a Registry Restore. Give it a try. To do it, switch you computer on and keep tapping the F8 key until you get a menu. Select "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" and press enter.

When you get to the C:\> prompt type in scanreg /restore and press enter. You will get a list of the last five times the computer was started in date order (American date format). Select a date prior to when the problem arose and press enter. Follow the prompts and restart your computer.

Donna-Marie 19:40 05 Jul 04

It was a case of too much junk on the pc, deleted a few programs and now its fine :)

Thanks for your help guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…